Tourism and Major Events
Tourism is an important driver of the Queensland economy, creating jobs, attracting investment and sustaining communities.
The Queensland Government has a long-term commitment to grow the state’s $25 billion tourism industry and cement Queensland’s position as a world-leading tourism destination.
Advancing Tourism 2016-20
Advancing Tourism 2016-20 is the Queensland Government’s plan to grow tourism and jobs. It seeks to capitalise on the opportunity afforded by unprecedented growth
–grow quality products, events and experiences; invest in infrastructure and access; build a skilled workforce and business capabilities; and seize the opportunity in Asia.
State of the Industry
The 2016 State of the Industry report showcases the success of the Queensland tourism industry over the past 12 months. The report covers key highlights across government and industry, and insights from the Queensland Tourism Industry Council, the regional tourism organisation network as well as research from our university partners.
DestinationQ is a partnership between the Queensland Government, Tourism and Events Queensland and the Queensland Tourism Industry Council to support ongoing engagement between industry and government to identify key priorities to drive growth and jobs in Queensland's tourism industry.
The annual DestinationQ Forum is the state’s flagship tourism event and brings together representatives from the tourism industry, government, regional organisations and educational institutions. In 2017, the Forum will be held in Brisbane from 9 – 10 November 2017, coinciding with the Queensland Tourism Awards Gala Ceremony.
In addition to DestinationQ Forum in Brisbane there will be other opportunities for tourism businesses to get involved, with regional DestinationQ events in Bundaberg, Gladstone and Toowoomba.
Information about the forum, regional events and a range of other resources about Queensland’s tourism industry are available on the DestinationQ website.
- As part of the 2016-17 State Budget, the government announced the $33.5 million Advance Queensland: Connecting with Asia Strategy. This strategy is part of the Queensland Government’s $420 million accelerated Advance Queensland agenda.
- Deliver the annual DestinationQ Forum to bring together government and industry to grow Queensland jobs.
- Work with the tourism industry to deliver Destination Success: the 20-year plan for Queensland tourism. Destination Success is a long-term plan supported by short-term action plans.
- Work with TEQ to attract new major events to the state that will draw increasing numbers of visitors.
- Deliver the Young Tourism Leaders program to provide role models for young people considering a career in tourism.
- Attract new direct flights to Queensland, especially from Asia, in collaboration with Queensland airports.
- Partner with Queensland Tourism Industry Council to address priority issues impacting on tourism and events.
- Encourage ecotourism investment and tourism ventures that protect and showcase the Great Barrier Reef.
- Attract tourism investment and infrastructure and encourage the private sector to partner with government.
Information for Businesses
Business Queensland (Business and Industry Portal) provides a wealth of information to assist tourism businesses, including information on:
- starting a business
- marketing your business
- tourism service quality toolkit
- tourism pathways tool (helps tourism businesses find support programs)
- investing in Queensland's tourism industry.
For further information on any of the tourism and major events initiatives led by the department, please contact email@example.com