Queensland Small Business Advisory Council
The Queensland Small Business Advisory Council focuses on significant small business issues and provides advice and solutions to the Minister for Small Business on issues related to small business growth, sustainability and employment.
Chaired by the Honourable Leeanne Enoch MP, Minister for Innovation, Science and the Digital Economy and Minister for Small Business, the Council membership includes small business owners and representatives across a variety of industries and regional and rural Queensland.
The Council has the task of:
- responding to requests from the Minister on identified small business issues
- responding to requests from the Minister for feedback on proposed small business assistance programs and policies
- bringing to the Minister’s attention any systemic and emerging issues with the potential to affect the ability of Queensland small businesses to operate successfully.
Better Regulation Taskforce
The Council has established the Better Regulation Taskforce as a sub-committee to provide advice on red tape impacting on small business in Queensland. The Taskforce assumes the work of the Red Tape Reduction Advisory Council which has been amalgamated into the Council.
The Taskforce has the task of:
- analysing regulatory issues which inhibit small business growth, impose a significant regulatory burden on small business, or create barriers to business entry in Queensland, with regard to all industry sectors and in comparison with other Australian jurisdictions
- providing advice and recommendations to address unnecessary regulation and red tape impacting on small business
- identifying new initiatives, reform projects or activities which could assist in streamlining government processes impacting on small business growth
- reporting to the Queensland Small Business Advisory Council and the Queensland Government with recommendations on red, green and blue tape areas across at least three industry sectors each year.
The members of the Queensland Small Business Advisory Council are:
- The Honourable Leeanne Enoch MP, Minister for Innovation, Science and the Digital Economy and Minister for Small Business (Chair)
- Ms Jemina Dunn, Australian Industry Group
- Ms Courtney Petersen, Shine Lawyers
- Mr Tony Axford, Gold Coast Small Business Advisory Centre
- Mr Ralph Edwards, BrightEyes Sunglasses Group
- Ms Debbie Smith, Foodworks Toowoomba and Master Grocers Australia
- Mr Derek Lightfoot, Tropical Pines
- Ms Julia Telford, Engage and Create Consulting
- Ms Julie-ann Lambourne, enVizion
- Small Business Champion
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland (CCIQ) (representative to be announced).
The members of the Better Regulation Taskforce are:
- Small Business Champion (Chair)
- Mr Craig Fenton, PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Ms Kate Whittle, CCIQ
- Mr Grant Field, MGI South Queensland
- Ms Christine Smyth, Robbins Watson Solicitors.
Is there an issue facing small businesses in Queensland you would like the government to investigate?
Email to tell us about it.